Thursday, October 1, 2026

Daily Homeschool Plan

When we first started homeschooling, I had no idea how to structure our day.  I put together a general plan for our days and for the most part, Eureka! We had a good week.  I was so grateful to the Lord.  I adapted this general plan from my days in the classroom (1st and 3rd grade).  It helped to bring structure and sanity to our week.



Planning the Day-My Thought Process

As I plan my day, I alternate between activity and rest, independent activities and group activities.  The brain and body need both.  When teachers plan their days, they plan knowing students can only maintain focus for a given amount of time.  If you are more familiar with the structure of public school rather than homeschool, you can build off of your child’s normal school day, adapt it, and build the structure of your days at home to give you and your children structure, pleasure, and sanity. Be flexible and have fun.  If it works for you, it will work for them.  Don't give in to the temptation to do what your friend is doing with her kids unless it works for you. Pray a lot. The Lord will help you :)


A (Flexible) Daily Plan: 

  • Word, Worship, Prayer

Keeping it simple works best for me.  I share what I’m learning or read from Proverbs (whatever the date, I read a verse that stands out from that chapter of Proverbs.)

  • Reading

I want my children to love to read or be able to read anything they need to read.  I try and incorporate various genre:  nonfiction, fiction, magazines, etc.  Many families have found All About Reading to be a helpful program.  I didn’t know about it when my children were younger.

  • Writing

We do all kinds of different writing.

  • Spelling

  • Vocabulary

  • Math

We’ve used Teaching Textbooks and Math-U-See.

  • Science

We’ve used Biology 101 and Chemistry 101.  It’s a series. We’ve also used Apologia and Answers in Genesis.  I love the Math3ma Symposium through Master’s University.

  • History 

We’ve used Notgrass.

  • Art

paint, draw, hand-letter, crafts from Youtube, etc.

  • Music

Listen, recorder, drums, guitar, etc.

Find various types of music online

  • Gym

structured games like four-square, football, basketball, tennis, hiking, free-play, sports count, too

  • Read Aloud

Choose a book to read or listen to together as a family

  • Lunch

Eat together, make some meals special, cook together, plan together

  • Free Play

outdoor playtime

  • Work

stacking wood, cleaning flowerbeds, cleaning bedrooms, etc.

  • Self Interest-what they like

Drama, acting, speaking, etc.  Encourage your child in what he/she loves and encourage him/her  to become an expert, practice, etc. Funschooling Journals worked for us.  They have a website.

Note:  Plan for Transitions

Set expectations for transitional times in your home, when children are going from activity to activity.  Give the children work to do during the transitions.  For example, after dinner, give everyone a job.  Or after the game of basketball, ask everyone to help.




No comments:

Post a Comment